While many other towns across the UK are reporting store closures and empty retail units, Wilmslow town centre is shining brightly as a beacon of retail hope. This affluent town, known for attracting discerning shoppers and high-end retailers, is experiencing a surge of growth. With five new retailers choosing to call it home in 2023, Wilmslow's retail scene is clearly going from strength to strength.
The new retail outlets have all settled into prime locations in Orbit Developments retail spaces, further enhancing the town's appeal. The recent additions to the retail landscape reflect a diverse array of offerings, making Wilmslow a shopping destination that caters to everyone.
- Tropica Plants: Leading the charge, Tropica plants moved into their new premises on Manchester Road at the beginning of the year. With a unique selection of plants and flowers and a cosy café, the store has quickly become a local favourite.
- Gails bakery: In February, the town welcomed Gails, a popular bakery known for its mouthwatering pastries and artisanal bread. Located on Water Lane, Gails has swiftly become a go-to spot for freshly baked goods.
- Card Factory: Grove Street saw a new neighbour when the Card Factory moved back into Wilmslow town centre, offering its much-loved selection of cards, gifts and party supplies.
- Arlo & Jacob: When Lloyds bank closed on Alderley Road Orbit Developments transformed the former bank into a haven for luxury furniture seekers when Arlo & Jacob moved in with their contemporary and unique designs.
- Pinarello: In October, after significant redevelopment work by owners Orbit Developments, the Italian bike manufacturer took over the former RBS unit on Water Lane, introducing a range of high-end bicycles catering to cycling enthusiasts with a taste for the finest.
This influx of new retailers has come on the heels of the successful Business Improvement District (BID) initiative, passed in October 2022. The BID has generated a substantial £1 million investment in the town for the subsequent 5 years, promising an even brighter future for Wilmslow. This project is set to enhance marketing, town centre promotion, visitor experiences and business support.
A multitude of businesses in Wilmslow have thrown their support behind the BID, recognising its potential to transform the town. Notable participants include iconic Rex Cinema, trusted healthcare provider Boots, the renowned Sainsbury's, and chic fashion destination Black White Denim.
However, the BID impact goes beyond financial support. It fosters a sense of community and collaboration that brings people together. This collective spirit is a magnet for retailers and shoppers alike, and it's poised to continue drawing new business and customers, propelling Wilmslow to even greater success.
In the face of challenging times for the UK retail sector, Wilmslow is proving that resilience and innovation can pave the way to prosperity. With the introduction of these five exciting new retailers and the unwavering support of the BID, Wilmslow is not just good, it's on its way to becoming great.
For more information about Orbit Developments, please visit orbit-developments.co.uk