This May's local elections are fast approaching.
People hoping to stand for election in borough, town or parish polls this May had until 4pm yesterday (Tuesday 4th April) to register their nomination with the Returning Officer at the council.
Therefore the would-be candidates in the 4th May local election standing to represent Alderley Edge, Handforth and Wilmslow on Cheshire East Council are:
Alderley Edge Ward - represented by 1 councillor.
- Curran, Carl - The Conservative Party
- Browne, Craig Julian - Alderley Edge First *
- Boxer, Emma Lena Katerine - Green Party
Handforth Ward - represented by 2 councillors.
- Nisa, Ribia - Labour Party
- Hutchene, Simon Glynn - Conservative Party Candidate
- Robertson, Matthew Kirkland - Conservative Party Candidate
- Smith, John Michael - Independent
- Smith, Julie Anne - Independent *
- Earl, James Andrew - Liberal Democrats
Wilmslow Dean Row - represented by 1 councillor.
- Illingworth, Jack Richard - The Conservative Party Candidate
- Anderson, Lata - Residents of Wilmslow *
- Walker, Olivia - Liberal Democrats
Wilmslow East Ward - represented by 1 councillor.
- Duckworth, John Hartley - The Conservative Party Candidate
- Jefferay, David William - Residents of Wilmslow *
- Murphy, Sarah Marianne - Liberal Democrats
Wilmslow Lacey Green Ward - represented by 1 councillor.
- Hilliard Chris - Residents of Wilmslow
- James Robin - Liberal Democrats
- Stockton Don - The Conservative Party Candidate *
Wilmslow West and Chorley Ward - represented by 2 councillors.
- Anderson Michelle Louise - Green Party
- Estill Barry - Conservative Party Candidate
- Goldsmith Mark Andrew - Residents of Wilmslow *
- Gorman Michael David - Residents of Wilmslow
- Sarwar Hannan Amer - Conservative Party Candidate
- Wilson Gareth George - Liberal Democrats
We will publish more information about each of the candidates shortly.
The deadline to register to vote is midnight on Monday 17th April. Voters can apply online at gov.uk.
Voters should have now received their polling cards, informing them where their polling station is located.
Voters can either vote in person, by post or by appointing someone they trust to vote in their place, known as a proxy vote. The deadline to apply for a postal vote is 5pm on 18th April. The deadline to apply for a proxy vote is a week later, 5pm on 25th April.
This May, for the first time, voters will need to show photo ID to vote at a polling station. This is a new requirement, introduced by the UK government's Elections Act. To find out which ID you can use in the polling station, visit the Electoral Commission website.
If you do not have one of the accepted types of ID, you can apply for free ID online or by completing and submitting a paper form to Cheshire East Council. You must apply by 5pm on 25th April, to be able to use the Voter Authority Certificate on 4th May.