Commissioner vows action over speeding and anti-social behaviour following A34 meeting

Group shot 1

Around 20 local residents joined representatives from Cheshire Constabulary, Cheshire East Council and local elected representatives at a public meeting on Thursday, 23rd September to discuss speeding and anti-social behaviour (ASB) issues on the A34 in Wilmslow and Alderley Edge.

Police and Crime Commissioner for Cheshire John Dwyer arranged the meeting following a large amount of correspondence from residents about the issues the community faces. He chaired the proceedings where he and the panel took residents' questions and discussed potential solutions to the long-running issues.

John Dwyer, Police and Crime Commissioner for Cheshire, said: "I want to thank everyone who attended on the night and shared their views with me and the panel. I would also like to thank those who were unable to attend on the evening but took the time to submit their questions. The discussions we had and the feedback we received will help us to improve the situation for residents.

"I'm committed to following up on actions identified at the meeting and to finding answers for residents to any questions we didn't manage to get through on the night. This is clearly an emotive subject and something which plagues local residents daily."

Residents were asked to submit questions in advance and the panel discussed a range of issues stemming from them, including what enforcement action the police have already taken on the road, speed and noise cameras, and possible changes to the design of the road to deter the potential for collisions.

John Dwyer added: "A death or injury on our roads is one death or injury too many and I give my assurances that this matter is being taken seriously. Road traffic collisions can have devastating impacts and I am committed to taking action.

"There were a number of pertinent points raised and I know I speak for the entire panel when I say we'll consider whatever solutions are necessary and workable to improve this issue for the local community."

Assistant Chief Constable Jenny Sims said: "Cheshire Constabulary remains committed to making our roads even safer. We will continue to run enforcement operations in the area and work with the local authority and communities to ensure more sustainable solutions are found."

Esther McVey, MP for Tatton said: "I was pleased to be invited to attend the meeting by the PCC and it was good to see so many people in the room who I have been in contact with on this, and many other, issues.

"I also thought the main concerns were well articulated by local residents and whilst most of the issues, it was agreed, sit with Cheshire East or the police, I have taken away some points around legislation and I will be pressing the relevant Ministers on those."

Cllr Craig Browne, Deputy Leader of Cheshire East Council and Chair of the Highways and Transport Committee said: "This was an important opportunity to listen to the views of local residents and I am grateful to the Police & Crime Commissioner both for organising the meeting and inviting me as a panellist.

"Cheshire East Council will continue to work together with our strategic partners in the Cheshire Road Safety Partnership, including the police and other emergency services, to identify appropriate solutions to the issues raised. I look forward to reporting back on our joint progress at a future meeting."

Cheshire Constabulary will shortly be providing a meeting summary which will include information about the actions to be taken and data regarding the number of incidents on the stretch of road including serious, and sadly fatal accidents which have taken place in the last few years.

Photo: Panel members at the A34 public meeting (from left to right) Insp Andy Baker, Insp Steve Griffiths, ACC Jenny Sims, Esther McVey MP, PCC John Dwyer, Cllr Craig Browne and Deputy PCC David McNeilage.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Comments

Here's what readers have had to say so far. Why not add your thoughts below.

David Carey
Tuesday 28th September 2021 at 7:01 am
Actions speak louder than words, so we shall see what actually gets done and if it makes a difference.
Marc Asquith
Tuesday 28th September 2021 at 6:21 pm
Craig told the meeting that the average speed of traffic has to be at or below any proposed reduction in a speed limit for the reduction to be imposed. So, if the limit is 70 and you think it should be 60, then the average speed has to be at or below 60 to get through.

Why would anyone want a speed limit to be reduced to 60 from 70 if the average is already 60 or less ?

Craig suggested that it would eliminate the spikes, those who are substantially exceeding the speed limit - but they are already ignoring the speed limit and so a reduced speed limit will make not difference.

I know what is going on - Craig is supporting the existing officer lead policy rather than challenging it.

Had I behaved the same, we would not have the Pelican crossing from the Ryleys Lane / Park car park to Church Lane. Elected representatives have to challenge and change officer policies - not slavishly follow them.
Fiona Doorbar
Thursday 30th September 2021 at 10:59 am
When and how can we access the meeting summary please??
Craig Browne
Thursday 30th September 2021 at 2:52 pm
Hi Fiona,

I understand that minutes of the meeting will be published by the Office of the Police & Crime Commissioner in due course. If you have any specific queries in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kind regards,
Craig

Add Your Comment

Share what you think of this story. In order to post a comment click here to sign in or register to become a member (it's free and will only take one minute).