For many years, the old bandstand in the park has been used for little more than a shelter from the rain.
Several possible uses have been suggested e.g. to turn it into a coffee shop. These ideas have never come to fruition, mainly because of possible cost.
Some months ago, the Parish Council provided two table tennis tables, along with bats and balls, all put into the bandstand.
Some thought it a good idea and some did not. At a cost of circa £3,000 it may have been worth a try.
Sadly the mindless vandals have set out to ruin the whole project:
- The bandstand has become a litter area; drinking & smoking (of?) & eating.
- The bats and balls are constantly broken or stolen.
- The metal tables are covered in what may be dried beer (last week the smell on the tables suggested urine as well!).
- Now the mindless morons have managed to cut their names into the table tops.
- The ceiling of the bandstand is stained.
Recently the whole mess was yet again cleaned up but alas yesterday the brain-dead vandals set two fires, by the tennis courts, on the grass. Burnt beer cans etc.
To be more cheerful, thanks are due to whoever is currently working at keeping the band stand swept out. I have no idea who it is - Cheshire East Council, Ansa, Alderley Edge Parish Council or kind private individuals.
It strikes me that there are only a few alternative actions
- Carry on as we are and keep cleaning/repairing.
- Put in cctv to enable the police to act.
- Move the tables to where they will be used in peace. Where? Scouts? Guides? Or some such worthy group?