Hockey: Alderley secure much needed win

AE v Timp 2

Alderley Edge Men's first team finally put together the type of performance that they have been threatening of late. Travelling the short journey to Timperley in the North Premier League, Alderley were in need of a win having only picked up two draws in their last 7 matches.

Timperley started brightly and a good piece of skill on the circles edge won a penalty corner in the first minute, the corner was comfortably saved.

Alderley then began to get a foothold in the game with Mattingly and Whitehead creating a solid platform and building momentum from the back and allowing the midfield to be able to get the ball to the forwards to build pressure on the Timperley defence. Alderley took the lead when a pass from deep was dummied by Sanders which allowed Warburton to collect on the base line he found Ben Gregory who swept home on the reverse stick. Wildig then went close with first the 'keeper and then a defender denying him.

Gregory hit the side board and Warburton fired at the 'keeper.

Timperley's forward forays were reducing as Cresey and Kay stamped out any would be attacks and the industrious Bryant broke up play in the middle of the park.

The second half was virtually all Alderley and James Warburton scored from close range following Sawas' pass and Sam Gregory's wing play.

Warburton grabbed a third and his second with a composed finish after finding space in the D he waited for the 'keeper before lifting the ball past him.

Timperley's discipline was poor and they had players sin-binned as they began to lose heart, another team goal saw Simon Parr convert with a timely finish, having linked up with Gregory.

The fifth and final goal game really put icing on the cake as Parr, Sanders and Gregory produce neat interplay in the D pulling the defence out of shape and Warburton had the simple task of finishing at the back post for his hat-trick.

Timperley did manage to win a couple of penalty corners and had one other meaningful attack in the last couple of minutes, but clean through the striker was denied a consolation by Riley's save, which was the last real piece of action, giving Alderley a clean sheet and a 5-0 win.

The seconds also had a good win, beating Liverpool Uni 2-0, with both goals courtesy of close range deflections from Laurence Barnes and Joe Gregory, in a game Alderley had control of throughout and 'keeper Pickering only really called into action in the latter stages.

The 3rd team were battling well against Deeside and in a tough game were drawing 2-2, but faded late on to go down 6-2.

The 4s had a good win 3-1 against Stockport/Bramhall second team, with James Gibson amongst the goals on his return to the club.

The fifth team lost 3-0 to Knutsford 2s and the 6s were resounding winners putting eight unanswered goals past Crewe.

The 7s had a top of the table clash with Keele Uni 1st team and went down 5-3 despite a hat-trick from Sean Neary.

Match report by James Riley.

Alderley Edge Hockey Club, Hockey