The Wizard Walk

Posted: Saturday, 25th July, 2009 at 12:35
Roger Norton

The Wizard Walk by Roger Norton

One of the Trust’s most popular countryside properties in Cheshire, the NT estate covers nearly 100 hectares/250 acres of mature woodland and heathland spread along the sandstone ridge that gave the village its name.

Much of the Edge is protected as a site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) thanks to an amazing variety of geological, ecological and archaeological features. Few places, indeed, offer such a wealth of interest in such a small area.

Start at the main car park which is located on the B5087 Macclesfield Rd about 100m on the left after the Wizard pub and restaurant (1). From the car park head towards the tea rooms and the NT information room and turn right onto the track.

Formed around 200 million years ago, the sandstone beds that gave rise to the Edge were tilted by massive earth movements and permeated by water bearing valuable minerals like lead, zinc and cobalt which were deposited in the vertical rock fractures, or faults.

Among them were blue and green coloured copper ores which some 4,000 years ago caught the eye of Bronze Age miners whose presence can still be detected along the rim of the huge, open fault known as Engine Vein (2) from the marks left by their stone hammers. To find them, leave the track after approx 500m and climb up the steps on the left and peer over the fence at the opposite rock face. Here too was discovered an oak shovel carbon dated to around 1750 BC as well as a pot of Roman coins from about 400 AD.

The Edge’s importance as a mining centre continued well into the early 20th century. Following several tragic accidents, the last remaining mines were finally sealed up in the early 1960s, although some have since been leased to the Derbyshire Caving Club and re-opened for public visits. (Details from http://www.DerbyshireCavingClub.org.uk).

After inspecting Engine Vein, continue to the left along the fence and turn right along another broad track past old mine shafts (3) to the Armada Beacon (4), the highest point on the Edge and one of a chain of signalling fires that were set up across the length and breadth of the country to warn of invasion by the Spanish Armada.

At that time The Edge was covered by sandy heathland where local people cut peat, quarried stone and grazed their cattle. Today the view out across the Cheshire Plain from the beacon is largely obscured by woodland which was planted in the 18th century by local landowners, the Stanley family of Nether Alderley, including stands of magnificent Scots pines and beech trees, augmented by naturally regenerated oak, birch, rowan and holly.

As well as creating wonderful Autumn colours, the trees provide good habitat for birds like warblers, red starts, marsh tits, willow tits, redpolls, woodcocks, bullfinches and Ravens.

From the Armada Beacon head to the right down the slope and follow the path for 200m to the Druid’s Circle (5) which was laid out in the 18th century by the Stanleys as a folly.

Stay on the path to arrive at Stormy Point (6) and enjoy the sweeping vista which extends across the Cheshire Plain to the Peak District and the Pennines. The yawning crack in the rock known as the Devil’s Grave (7) that runs along the top of the escarpment once gave access to a maze of tunnels. These lie at the heart of the local legend surrounding the Wizard of the Edge which inspired Alan Garner to write his fantasy account, the Wierdstone of Brisinghamen.

Now walk to the right along the ridge along an old carriage drive (8) and after approx 600m turn right again and explore the curious hollows of Canyon Mine (9). Retrace your route to rejoin the carriage drive and go to the gates at the end where you can either turn left and follow a well waymarked path to Hare Hill Gardens, or turn right and head back to the car park.

Whichever way you choose, however, first pause to examine the Goldenstone (10) which lies to the left on the side of the road beyond the gates. Known as a merestone, this is also mentioned in the legend of the Wizard and once marked the late medieval boundary between the Stanley estate and that of the De Trafford family.

Distance – 1.5km/1m. Add 5km/3.1m for the extension to Hare Hill and return. Allow 2 – 2.5hrs for the combined walk. For those who have time, Hare Hill Gardens are particularly beautiful in the Spring with a profusion of azaleas, rhododendrons and hostas.

See attachment for printable version with map.

Posted: Sunday, 26th July, 2009 at 19:20
Stewart Dyer

Mines, Quarries and Caves on The Edge
Thanks to Roger Norton for the information about the Wizard’s Walk which became the start of a fascinating morning for me. As a relative newcomer to the area, I have been regularly walking around The Edge for a few years now, admiring the scenery and interesting features, and to my shame I have never made an effort to learn more about it.

Today however, inspired by Roger’s post, I took some time to look a bit more closely, and I am delighted to report that I learned a great deal, and experienced even more. Rather than relate everything I saw, and possibly spoil things for others, I would like to just recommend a few highlights to those who, like me, have so far missed out on some of the most amazing experiences.

The Great Quarry is spectacular, and I am sure many people walk past without realising that it is there.

Numerous mine workings, and entrances, are dotted around this area, and once you know what you are looking at, they take on a new perspective.Close by is Church Quarry, with an 80 foot long shaft sunk into the quarry walls. This is only a few yards away from the main road, and The Wizard!

A visit the Derbyshire Caving Club’s premises behind the Wizard is very worthwhile (open most Sundays) - just have a chat with whoever is there (thanks Phil). In there you will hear about, and see some amazing things, including an ancient mineshaft, which is actually in the building.

They can also arrange trips down the mines which pepper the area, and I am definitely hoping to do this in the very near future.The Caving Club’s website has loads of great information and makes very interesting reading, and there are dozens of amazing photographs.
http://www.derbyscc.org.uk/

I am sure many people already know much of this, but for me it was a real revelation, and I am sure I cannot be the only one. I recommend taking some time to explore this amazing feature of our surroundings,

Posted: Tuesday, 28th July, 2009 at 14:43
Lisa Reeves

We’ve just returned from a great few hours exploring The Edge. We often go walking up there with our two young girls but as my parents were visiting I thought it was a good opportunity to learn more and follow The Wizard Walk. We didn’t get as much time to explore and learn as most, given we were chasing a wobbly two year old as she jumped in puddles and squelched in the mud, which there was lots of! We took time to check out the Church Quarry before we began the walk (take the left path behind the Wizard, go past the pump and stone house and it’s a bit further on the right). I’d never seen this before. We took torches and the girls thought it was great fun. My four year old described it as “amazing”. See attached photo. The girls also loved the Druids Circle which I must confess we missed at first by taking the wrong path. All in all a great couple of hours, despite the rain, both girls managed to complete the walk and returned to the car exhausted and filthy after their “exciting adventure”.

Post a reply to this topic

Please note that the discussion forums are not to be used for commercial promotions and advertising.

In order to post in the forum please sign in using the form below or register to become a member (it's free and will only take one minute).

Keep me signed in (unless I sign out)

Advertisement
Advertisement