Following last week's incidents which saw a group of travellers set up an illegal encampment in Alderley Edge Park, the Parish Council has worked quickly in order to prevent this from happening again.
This morning (Friday, 26th June) a temporary barrier system has been installed at the Ryleys Lane entrance where the travellers had gained access to the park on Sunday, 21st June, by removing the barrier post with a towing rope.
Councillor Mike Dudley Jones, Chairman of Alderley Edge Parish Council, said "It is now secure. I know that the 2.5 ton orange blocks are not a 'fashion statement' but I hope residents will forgive us. At least we now have time to carefully consider a permanent hard barrier scheme which will fit the horticultural look of the Park for the future."
He added "I would like to say how sorry I am that the village had to put up with the traveller disruption last weekend and earlier in the week. We should have been better prepared but hopefully that lesson has been learnt now and we can move forward."
2.5 ton blocks have also been located in other areas of the park including the entrance off Redesmere Drive and to fill gaps alongside Ryleys Lane.
The blocks have been hired at a cost of £550.00 for the delivery, £283.00 for the blocks plus £189 for the gate. This covers the first 42 days. Thereafter, it is approximately £337.00 per month for the whole system.
Councillor Mike Dudley Jones said "Despite the park 'belonging' to Cheshire East and it being maintained by ANSA, the Parish Council have taken these charges on to our books in the hope that we can reach some other shared arrangement in due course.
"ANSA will be reviewing our Park Security with us. All of the blocks will be removed once a new scheme is devised and we may look to purchasing a gate system that is permanent. This will be financed by Cheshire East or ANSA."