Fire crews are still tackling large peat bog blaze

Firefighters are still tackling a large fire at Lindow peat bog.

One fire engine from Wilmslow, one fire engine from Poynton and two fire engines from Greater Manchester were called to reports of a fire in the open at Newgate shortly after 3pm on Tuesday, 12th June.

The fire involves a large peat bog, approximately 150 metres by 40 metres, which was well alight.

Firefighters proceeded on foot to the scene and established a water supply. The high volume pump was requested to help with water supply to tackle the fire and the drone was in attendance to assist firefighters.

Firefighters still remain in attendance at the fire. The high volume pump from Congleton is being utilised to pump water to the fire. Numerous jets and beaters are being used by the crews to try and bring the fire under control.

A spokesperson for Poynton Fire Station said "The tactics being employed involve large quantities of water being applied to extinguish the fire that is deep seated within the peat. The fire on the surface is spreading from below. Therefore main jets are in use. We have many resources on scene to assist with the incident."

This is the fourth fire at Lindow Peat bog this month.

Fire crews were called to deal with two peat bog fires on Sunday, 3rd June - the first of which occurred just before 7am with a second incident just after 1.30pm

Then on Monday, 11th June, firefighters were called to Newgate just before 9am where they found a few different seats of smoke on the bog and used beaters and a fire extinguisher to put out the fire.

Update: 1.30pm Wednesday, 13th June.

Two fire engines are in attendance at the large peat bog fire on Newgate in Wilmslow. One main jet is being used to try and put out the fire.

Update: Thursday 14th June

Overnight the incident was reduced to one pump who checked for hotspots and used a hose reel jet on any they found. Crews are still at the scene, monitoring it with a thermal imaging camera.

Update: 3:30pm Thursday 14th June - the incident has now concluded and firefighters have left the scene.

Photo credit @WilmslowFS.