Members of Alderley Edge Parish Council along with some local volunteers have carried out traffic surveys on Chorley Hall Lane to try and gauge what the impact of making the road one-way would have on the village centre.
As a result of concerns raised by several residents about the safety of the footpath over Chorley Hall Lane railway bridge, Councillor Craig Browne has been working with Cheshire East Highways to explore options for making it safer for pedestrians and people with pushchairs or wheelchairs.
The proposal put forward is for a one-way system between Greenlands Walk and Carlisle Street, heading towards London Road. This would enable the footpath over the bridge to be widened and 18 new on-street parking spaces to be created at a cost of around £10,000.
Two surveys were carried out on consecutive Mondays, the first when Chorley Hall Lane was closed, to enable an investigation to be carried out into the bridge structure and road surface , and the second when it was open as usual.
On Monday, 25th September, they collected traffic data at the junction of Ryleys Lane and Wilmslow Road to record how many vehicles were diverted through the village as a result of the temporary closure of Chorley Hall Lane.
The traffic survey was repeated on Monday, 2nd October, in order to establish how many vehicles use this route when Chorley Hall Lane is open as usual.
Councillor Craig Browne said "I am pleased to share the results below, which were taken to assess the increase in traffic through the village whilst Chorley Hall Lane was closed (simulating what would happen if CHL became one-way only)."
Monday 25th Sept (Road Closed) Monday 2nd October (Road Open)
Total No. of Cars 336 Total No. of Cars 187
Total No. of Vans 47 Total No. of Vans 32
Total No. of Lorries 15 Total No. of Lorries 5
Total No. of Cycles 1 Total No. of Cycles 2
Total No. of Vehicles 399 Total No. of Vehicles 226
Average per hour 89 Average per hour 50
Craig Browne added "The formal assessment carried out by CE Highways in March of this year, showed that on average 85 vehicles per hour pass along Chorley Hall Lane (off-peak). Assuming the survey results to be representative, on average 39 of these vehicles (46%) choose to travel through the village as an alternative route. It therefore follows that the remaining 46 vehicles (54%) choose to avoid the village and take a different route (e.g. via Nether Alderley).
"The CE assessment showed that the number of vehicles travelling along Chorley Hall Lane increases to 200 per hour between 7.30am - 8.30am and 150 per hour between 4.00pm - 5.00pm. Again, assuming the survey results to be representative, this would equate to 92 extra vehicles along London Road/Ryleys Lane between 7.30am - 8.30am and 69 extra vehicles between 4.00pm - 5.00pm."
The data above was collected between 9.30am and 2.00pm.
What do you think about plans to make Chorley Hall Lane one-way? Share your views via the comment box below.