Planning permission has been granted for the refurbishment and partial redevelopment of a vacant group of buildings at Alderley Park, to create new laboratories, offices and manufacturing facilities.
Manchester Science Partnerships sought permission for the refurbishment of Block 15, formerly known as the Central Toxicology Laboratories (CTL), which have been dis-used for ten years and are located at the easternmost edge of the Mereside complex.
The buildings within Block 15 vary in age and architectural style. The first buildings to be constructed on the site were completed in the late 1950's with new buildings being added through to the 1980's.
Some demolition will be undertaken to remove buildings unsuitable for refurbishment and to open routes through the site, whilst new space will be created to provide a new entrance pavilion, café and meeting space. In addition the existing courtyard space will also be roofed over as part of this work to create a new internal heated atrium.
The new scheme will cover a similar gross area to the existing buildings whilst two future sites to the east of the Block 15 buildings are earmarked to provide new office or laboratory accommodation, though these do not form part of this application.
Images: Aerial view of the Proposed Scheme, looking north.View towards main entrance and view wtihin new atrium.